Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Training in the Midst of 'Life'

All the times that I have watched Ironman on TV (and I've seen a lot) never once did I consider that these athletes in all of their varying shapes and sizes had lives. Lives that required attention, time, work, studying, and/or effort that was entirely separate from their Ironman training experience. Now however, as I am prepared to take my PhD comprehensive examinations, more than ever I am cognizant that no Ironperson does this thing without other 'things' happening concurrently. It would be helpful if on the number bibs people could have their name AND what they had to 'do' while training. "New Mom", "Waistaff", "Lawyer", "New groom", "Barista", "Plumber", "Therapist....we all need one", "PhD student". These would really help me put things into perspective. :)

So during this first 'phase' of training I have also been preparing to take my written preliminary examinations AND my oral proposal/defense. Yesterday, the day before the 'party' started it was as if the universe decided to 'play' with my head. I ended up having to cancel my run, but did get my swim in. But with the way the day went, I'm freakin' lucky I didn't drown in the five feet of water in the lap pool. Man, I'm telling you; yesterday, I fell down three times (not that it is unusual for me to fall down, I do this with relative frequency...but not usually three times in one day), the power went out campus wide while I was printing and editing my proposal, I dropped my 'reduced fat' Oreo (please, what a contradiction) down a long flight of stairs (a travesty!), when printing (the second time) my proposal the copier made up blank pages randomly throughout the 600 I had to print...fun. Thankfully I got through the day relatively unscathed and having done my swim workout. Today I am to ride for a few hours...seems simple enough. First I just have to write and pass the first day of exams.

I wonder if there are any people to do Ironman who are 'sorta' into it. Are there any Ironpeople who 'kinda' do life, 'sorta' like to train, 'kinda' take life by the horns and mold it into submission?

2 comments:

Meg said...

oh mt god...you totally have it!

We ARE the those people!
"people to do Ironman who are 'sorta' into it. Are there any Ironpeople who 'kinda' do life, 'sorta' like to train, 'kinda' take life by the horns and mold it into submission?"

Though i would argue that we TOTALLY live life & COMPLETELY make it whimper under our "make shit happens ways"

Multitaskers of the highest order who find joy and meaning and sustenence in far too many things to limit ourselves to a mere one crazy thing at a time!

Rock your exam Jabson!

Meg said...

oops.... "oh my god..."