Sunday, June 15, 2008

My First Tri

Some may think that it was naive, ambitious or even INSANE to sign up for an Ironman before having completed even a single triathlon. And yet, here I am. I've come to think, in my young and inexperienced wisdom, that sometimes it's best NOT to know what one is getting into. Honestly, had I known first hand what training really meant I might never have believed that I have what it takes to really prepare and complete an IRONMAN. And yet, here I am; entry paid, hotel and flight secured, bike tuned, training in progress. Finally, under the wise and beautiful wisdom of my wife, I did my first tri yesterday.

Thank the gods and goddesses, I LOVED it! I have always had the feeling that I would like the sport. All the gear, the multi-sport intensity, the gear, the bragging rights, the idea of pushing myself to the limit and laughing as I cross to the other side....it's righteous. To actually do it; to be in the water and feel first hand the nauseating mix of thrill and panic...THAT is bliss.

The water temp was 63 degrees; aka freakin' cold! And while I was standing on the beach, goosebumps collecting on my drying skin, I could not get my mind to accept, or even acknowledge, that I would be diving in to swim the short 900 yards in mere moments. It was very reminiscent of the morning before my comprehensive exams two weeks ago. There was nausea, there was denial (lots of denial as I am an accomplished denial'ist), more nausea and then the gun. Thank god, in my comps there was no wet suit (can you imagine?), and well, no gun (despite what my mind kept telling my body). But still, that feeling on the beach was uncomfortably familiar. So, the gun went off and I tried to swim. I say tried because despite my intense comfort in open water and relentless training hours, the moment I put my face in the water I had the uncontrollable desire to gasp (for you non-swimmers, this is a VERY bad idea...gasping underwater). This went on for about 400 yards (oh goody!), but then magically, all was well. My brain adjusted to the cold water, my heart rate slowed and I began to swim and enjoy myself. The end of the swim felt amazing and I was actually sad to see the end come so soon. I felt like I needed the mother of all do-overs. But just as I thought of the do-over my lovely wife jumped out of the water beside me (where did she come from?), seaweed dangling from her right ear, and she ordered me to 'RUN!'. "Oh" I said, "dear god". And so I ran.

Running while stripping of a clingy outfit of neoprene and rubber is nothing what it looks like in the adult movies. :) It's weird. Here I am in front of a million people with cameras, running, wet, looking ultra-UNhot, stripping of my rubber. It was a surreal moment. So, naturally, I waived, as you do.

The bike was easy and fun. I wanted to chat, hang out and ride along. I forgot, this was a RACE. So, I rode, but in the back of my head I kept hoping secretly for a bakery or a donut stand at the turn around. No such luck.

The transition to running was wonky, weird and willy-nilly. My legs were the equivalent to an adolescent child rebelling against an 8:30 curfew. I said run, they said stop. I said run, they said f-you. I said run, they said, 'I hate you'. So I kept running, well, I should be honest, I plodded. I found the argument with my legs entertaining as I don't and will never have children. Suddenly I felt like this was one of god's cruel little jokes. Just 'cause I don't have kids doesn't mean I can't get payback...and this made me laugh, nervously, but laugh all the same.

Trina was amazing. Her ride, her run, her swim kicked m-f'ing bum! She was great. A COMPLETE warrior and the motivation to keep me moving faster than my normal 'this is a training run' pace. :)

So, when all was said and done, 1:52 later, there was never a donut stop (so this WAS a myth), and there was never a beer stand. However, I did have an immense feeling of joy that I had finished and enjoyed the process thoroughly....after all, that Ironman entry is non refundable!

Here's to my next 'tri', the tour de blast and more gear! Keep on training!

1 comment:

Meg said...

Yippppeeee! McJabney's rule! Jen-- I am so excited that you had your first! (that sounded 'dirty'...heehee) Sounds like you 2 had a great time and experience. We can't wait to ride with you at Mt St Helens. Maybe they'll be a donut stand even :)