Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Skipping & Galloping

Yes, we conquered Mt St Helens....on a beautiful day. It was a fun ride for me and I had a great time riding with Jen. We just plain ride great together and it feels like the pre-baby days when we ride. The best part of the day however, was watching Trina (TT) and Jennifer (sassy-femme) kick ass on their first hilly (& longer) ride. I mean...Jen and I have done these types of things before and I have a rather 'selective memory' when it comes to hills, so didn't quite accurately portray the hills involved. Oops. However, they really did an amazing job and it was really an accomplishment. I think if that had been my first ride of both that length and incline I would have thrown myself into the ashy Toutle River and called it a day. So big congrats to them for showing their Ironman colors! :)

Yesterday Jen and I ran 16 miles. It was a great run. Well, we felt good and strong and fast. We hit a wall and things got stiff as one might imagine the last few miles, but the overall feeling was "wow, we are doing great!". We have devised our new way of long runs that really seem to be working. We walk at first, then run 40-ish minutes. Then after that we do 10 minute chunks and alternate who gets to decide how we break it up. We might do 2 min. walk/8 min. run or 4 min. walk/6 min. run....etc. This seems to be working great for us. We do however need to eat more during ride and practice our nutrition before running also.

We tried to skip at the end. I have visions of skipping across the finish line for some whacked out reason I am unable to explain. We tried. Good god it is hard. Jen suggested galloping. Which was easier. You see, running more than 12 miles is neither good for your body or your sanity. So, I have now suggested that we do no more bike-run bricks and instead will practice our skipping and galloping at the end of our runs. Thoughts?

Great post on body image. I don't know what to say...except the bottom line is that we are women that are crazy strong and fit and do things that mere mortals can't even conceive of doing. We kick ass and laugh while doing it!

1 comment:

Meghan said...

I like the idea of skipping, but concur with Jen that galloping is a safer bet as it's less likely to trip you up just when you are ready for your close-up...

Have you considered if Lucy will be crossing the line with you? That may determine the best and/or safest way to propel yourselves the last few yards. I've heard tales of baby/kidlet staging areas near Ironman finish lines where wee ones are handed off to half-delirious parents to cross the finish line together. Not sure how I feel about that, but wanted to throw that option into the mix if you haven't considered it.

No matter what you decide, I just want to say how much I love reading about how much you two enjoy each other out there whilst training, as evidenced by how much time and energy you're devoting to your simultaneous finish-line-crossing-plan. I can see in my mind your exchanges back and forth about the 10 minute chunks. It makes me smile and so glad you have each other with whom to share this amazing journey!