Friday, September 5, 2008

Ironman or Bust

Hello Friends!!!!
The whole team has been in Madison since the late Tuesday evening. Wednesday we drove the bike course and as promised it is relentlessly hilly, but optimistically 'doable'. I have come to think that the ride will be challenging, but not outside of my ability. I expect to be tired, I expect to use four-letter words (some starting with 'f'), and I expect to be exhilarated and delighted. So, as is promised by many veterans, I will likely experience a full and wide range of emotions on race day! :)

Today we swam the course (easy-peezy....what's 2.4 miles anyway??) and then Trina and Jen rode hills (not me Jen, the other Jen....it's not as confusing as it sounds) on the bike course. Again, this confirmed for all of us that we are ready for the beating the rolling Mid West hills promise. BRING IT! We also walked through the finish shoot at the end...OMG, I can't wait to be there SUnday night!!!! I hope to cross around 11:30 pm my time (9:30 on the W. coast).

Tomorrow we will check in our bags for each of the transitions. That's a feat in and of itself. It'll be nice to have everything in. Sunday morning we will get up at 3:30 a.m. and catch a shuttle at 4:30. Body marking at 5:00 and in the water by 6:30. WHOOHOOO!

So far the biggest challenge are my nerves. My head gets away from me and I'm focusing my energy on being in the moment. I must not think about 'what if's' or I find myself getting the dreaded DNF (did not finish)...which of course WILL NOT happen! :) It's going to be a long day of grinding and going deep inside to pull out all that 'GI JEN' intensity that I dig into....but it's also going to be INCREDIBLE.

On a lighter note, the course is BEAUTIFUL and the community support so far is next to none...it's really top shelf. I'm so impressed and honored. THere are lots of cows on the ride (midwest farm country, go figure) so many call the race IMOO....funny. Today I tried to get some pics of the countryside that I will post in the coming week so that you can see how pretty it really is here.

I will not likely post again until Tuesday....but thank you all for your support, your texts, your emails and your encouragement. I will be drawing on all of your good wishes and positive energy on Sunday.....LOVE YOU ALL!

big hugs!
jennifer

No comments: