Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I heart swimming!

Jen and I completed our training plan for the remainder of the training which feels great! I love a plan to follow. My plan for training is to get up and go in the early morning....like be at gym at 6am. This allows me to get my workout in prior to Jen needing to leave for work/school. I really hate getting up so darn early, but what I know about myself is that I work out MUCH better in the morning. I don't do well with the workout hanging over my head....feels oddly threatening. I figured this would be a good way to ensure my workouts---get used to getting up early M-F for work out or work. In order to do this I have to get up early enough to either a). feed lucy if she wakes up or b). pump enough for Jen to feed her while I am working out.



Anyway. Enough on the logistics. Today I was to swim and do a speed run. My swim rocked! The swims are feeling good and I am remembering when I got to this place last time in training. Where the swims just plain feel good. The most relaxing and least intense of all the training. Meditative. I felt like a little fish slithering through the water...or a stingray as Jen has suggested. :)
The run was on treadmill. We are doing our midweek shorter run (4 or 5 miles) as some kind of speed workout. In my training last time this was supposed to be the 1st/last miles at a regular pace and the middle 2 at 90% of max heart rate. Now that is just frickin' insane people. Jen said I always looked like road runner taking off. I always felt a mix of "who-can-i-punch?-and-oh-shit-i-am-going-to-trip-and-get-the-f*#%-out-of-my-way". I decided this approach is completely unnecessary. So instead all speed workouts are "runner's choice". Today I started at a 10min./mile and then gradually speed up over first mile to a comfortable 9min./mile. For the middle 2 miles I increased my speed every quarter to half mile, ending at a 7:30min./mile pace. The last mile was done at 8:30min/mile pace. It felt great! Yay! First decent run in a long time!
Things to do: work on nutrition, make bike transport arrangements, get new bike computer installed, get new swimsuit.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Three cheers for training plans!!!! I LOVE having a calendar of training....Trina and I do one every month...and when I say Trina and I, I mean Trina makes us a calendar with our months worth of workouts on it! She's a rock star!!! What would we do without fabulous planners like you all? Well, I would just train all willy-nilly and weird.

We're with you on the nutrition stuff! We just started adding meals to our weekly training plans so that we can plan for them. It's so hard to keep up the 'normal life' stuff, like cooking, with all this incredible training! Personal chef anyone?

Just did a great 30 mile ride in my trainer. It was fun to ride and watch Dr Phil and then Ellen. Crazy kids. I think I want to be a talk show host. Maybe if I don't pass my comps I'll start a talk show. Yah. Hey, you all could be my first guests.....the McBrelf's (no "son" since I'll be hosting the show) do Ironman! FUN! I love back up plans. Maybe I'll make a calendar for the back up agenda!!

Have a great week!
loves!