Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Talk Show Hosts and Training

It's official. I have decided. If school fall through I am going to become a talk show host. Seriously, these people are the bomb. Whoever thought up this idea (was it Sally Jesse or Donahue?)? It's brilliant! The only thing I love more than the idea of being a talk show host is having my OWN PERSONAL microphone....or maybe a crew of people to manage my collection of microphones.

For those of you who don't know this about me, I have a huge affinity for projecting and amplifying my voice with microphones. Yes, I know....I don't need one....ever. But I love them. I love them like I love the idea of hosting my own talk show. So how does this dovetail with training you ask? Today, on a 30 mile ride I watched all the talk shows I could find. This is the beauty of having a gear-head for a wife (Trina loves the gear!), she gets me everything we could dream of so that on rainy, dismal NW days we can train indoors....and watch talk shows. And so, when I'm training, when it's raining, I am indoors. And when I'm indoors not having to negotiate traffic and crazy people, I realize that training and going to school is hard. Not hard like making a fancy sauce for a lovely pasta dish, but hard like knowing you have to schedule a root canal and you can't afford the meds to get knocked out during the procedure so you schedule it w/o the meds because you know it has to be done. It's that kind of hard. And while I love a good challenge (believe me I DO!), I always like to have a back up plan. Today I realized my back up plan is becoming a talk show host. The only question is what type of host would I be? I'd like to think that you all immediately envisioned a high-femme Ellen type. I love the idea of starting every work day with a little dance, followed by stand up and a little time on the mic. Is that too much to ask?

But since this is 'training tales' I'll get back to the task at hand. Training is going strong this week. Last week we began adding hill intervals to our training. We run hills one day of our three run days, and we added speed intervals to one of our rides. It's amazing what a little variation in the speed department can do! It's also really emotionally rewarding to run hills and ride like a speed demon! Yahoo! I look forward to adding more speed work to the runs...but for me this has to come slowly because of shin splints and GI business (I won't go any further I promise). But the speed will come. It's funny to think about speed work. We're planning to complete a 140+ mile course in one day....let's face it...there's no quick way to the finish line.

PS: Would it be over the top to use a mic in the classroom?

No comments: