Monday, August 11, 2008

why do you do it?

Since training started there have been a myriad of questions from friends, family, students and colleagues about the Ironman. Questions like "what are the distances?", "what are the events", "is it like the pole, pedal, paddle?", "is it a marathon?" (oh please!), "what is training like?", "how many triathlons have you done?", "where is the 'marathon'" (gads, sigh) and so on. But the question that always resonates deep in my gut, the question that takes my breath away is 'why are you doing this?'. As training comes to a 'close' (I say 'close' b/c we still have 25 days of training) I reflect on this question every day....why am I doing this?

My reaction to this question is visceral, emotional and it resonates deep in my gut. When I come up for air reflexively I retort, 'why not do Ironman?'. The honest to god truth is that I have never considered NOT pushing my body, mind and soul to their outermost reaches. I have never considered NOT going to the edges of my reality and pushing for more. I have always known that I would reach for the greatest stars of my existence until I could touch and feel all their shiny, sticky fabulousness. Why wouldn't I accept the greatest challenges that I can find? Why wouldn't I engage the most demanding opportunities for growth and change? I believe that I have been blessed with opportunity and health and I would be wasting my blessings if I skirted any challenging occasion. Ironman is one of those occasions.

Growing up I spent a good deal of time wandering hospital corridors of the orthopedic floor (my Mom spent considerable time with severe orthopedic issues). During that time I wondered how the immobility that I observed in each room could have been prevented.
How could we keep people moving and reduce their probability of hospitalization? Everyone seemed so unhappy and unwell in those rooms!

My childhood was also filled with my own illness and severe bouts with asthma. Without access to the medications and inhalers so readily accesssible today I struggled to run and ride without breaking into a wheezing fit. So despite an interest in sports (namely swimming, diving, dance and cross country) I was unable to try out or participate in any of these events.

Then in college I was tested and put on fantastic medications (though they are even better now!!) and my asthma was finally in my control. So, I ran marathons, I rode my bike, I danced until I could not stand up.

Now as a Public Health person I know academically that exercise and movement can significantly reduce the onset of MANY ortho and cardiovascular illnesses. Emotionally I know that physical activity is my 'cure all'. Spiritually I know that Ironman is one of the things that I am here to do; it's part of my life plan.

So why do I do this thing I do? Because I am humbled to have it as my privilege, because it is one of the most profound opportunities that I have experienced for growth on all levels of consciousness, because it is my responsibility to fulfill my dreams and act with intention. Because I am an Iron-Woman.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog today spoke to me - without going through the months of sweat and endurance that you have been through. When we decided to go to Antarctica, everyone's comment was "And why are you doing this?" My answer was "It's out there and if it's out there I want to see it!" Why not go there - stretch my comfort zone (slightly) - after all I was on a small expedition ship not camping out! Life is for experiencing and savoring not vegging out in front of the TV! We will be cheering you and Trina on all the way in WI!

Jennifer said...

Oh gosh we can't wait to see you two!! This has been such an awesome, life shaping experience and it is a gift to do it with Jen and Meg. It will be so wonderful to see you both and hopefully spend a bit of time! My Mom and my poppy (step dad) will be attending as well and I'm excited for you to meet them too! :) Look out Madison....HERE WE COME!!!! :)