Saturday, August 16, 2008

There is a reason for everything....

This morning T and I got up promptly at 5:00 a.m. to prepare for our 100 mile ride. We had our scheduled breakfasts, watch the morning light break on the dark horizon, and packed our bikes and packs with the goods needed for a successful long ride. All the while I kept having that feeling; the nagging feeling that this training has taught me again and again to trust. But I said nothing. Then, on the short car ride (bikes neatly strapped the back of our darling Prius) to the start of our long ride I finally confessed my feelings to T. We contemplated, talked it through, but in the end decided to ride anyway.

The day was beautiful, though it is a scorcher. The temps were predicted to reach high 90's by noon and god only knows how much hotter after that. About 15 miles into our ride I sort of broke down. I've been sick all week, and the cold has slowly made its way to my weakest link: my lungs. So after 8 rolling hills and two nasty climbs I had some serious doubts about my psychological and physical ability to hold it together for the day. Again, I confessed my feelings to my sweet lady. We talked it through every which-way possible and ultimately decided that we were desperate for a way out of today's ride. Both because of my being under the weather but also because we felt like our bodies were begging for a chance to recover. So, we rode back to the car racking up only 30 short miles (only now, at this insane stage of training does '30 miles' seem short).

On our drive back to the house I was still not feeling 'right'. Like we had made this decision, but I continued to worry that it would significantly undermine our ability to complete our race in 3 weeks. Nevertheless, we continued driving home. Then, in the middle of a busy road there was a beautiful yellow lab, wandering, lost. Two cars and a bus almost hit her and I hopped out of my own still moving vehicle to rescue her. Initially I started to run after her, but still in my cycling shoes, running was a poor idea. So I stopped and simply yelled 'hey, you!'. The sweet pup immediately turned and looked with a look that said,'really? me?' Then she bolted towards me smiling all the way. I have a habit of finding lost dogs and returning them to their homes (really, I almost always have a leash and treats handy), so usually there is a leash or pseudo leash in the car for such occasions. We leashed her up and took her to the nearby shelter. When we arrived the staff knew exactly who she was....apparently her owner doesn't do a good job keeping her fenced and she gets regularly...BOOO on that! Anyway, she was the sweetest pup and it was a treasure to help her get to safety. And to think....if we hadn't stopped riding and headed home early...well... sweet lil' Sandy might not have made it home so easily. I guess there is a reason for everything.

Now that we are home, I'm making yummy brunch, T is cleaning the car and we both feel so happy and relieved to be doing 'real life' activities that have been painfully absent from our lives for many, many, many weeks. I guess if I don't complete Ironman b/c of my choices today at least I'll have my health...psychologically and physically and that really is everything. And, well, it feels pretty neat to have met Sandy, the sweet yellow lab from Greenhill Rd. Oh, and we'll have legs for our 20 mile run tomorrow. I'm sure that will be better!!! :)

1 comment:

Meg said...

You are Ironwomen no matter what....you were the moment you committed to the process.
I know it is really hard to have a workout be completely different than you expected or planned for. And how scary that is in terms of what, if anything, it means for race day. You listen to yourself and that is important. Jen and I were talking today about her feeling of not being able to do it because our biking mileage has been wonky. It is a real and scary feeling. And, come race day we will all dig deep, be in our powerful bodies and push them to our limit....whatever that will be that day.
A day of "real life activities" sounds so amazing!!! Keep enjoying it!!